Little Compton, Rhode Island
Finished: In Progress
Located 800 yards off of the coast of Little Compton, RI, at the mouth of the Sakonnet River exists an 80’ cylindrical cast iron tower that sits atop a cast iron concrete filled caisson foundation. Completed in 1884 the Sakonnet Lighthouse has seen its share of weather. The Joseph Gnazzo Company, Inc. has undertaken a 2-year restoration project to return the silent sentinel to active service as a working lighthouse and to rightfully take up its place on the national register of historic places.
In June of 2010 a three level work platform was constructed on the rock adjacent to the lighthouse to hold cranes and needed equipment. Scaffolding was put into place around the tower portion of the structure. Starting from the top down crews’ remove old coatings and replaced all of the old failing bolts with new ones. In conjunction with that work the entire structural brick core was removed and rebuilt. New marine grade windows and door will be installed. Interior woodwork and cast iron floor panes will be repaired and replaced. A new cast in place concrete cap on the caisson will be installed. A final treatment of high performance marine coatings will adorn the interior and exterior of the metal shell. During the project, careful attention was paid to safety and logistics to deliver another successful and high quality product to The Friends of the Sakonnet Lighthouse.